Friday, May 2, 2008

May 1, 2008

Seems like spring has finally shown up. As of the past three days, the snow is melting. Creek has jumped its banks and there is lots and lots of mud, but not as bad as most years so far. Temperatures are in the 30's getting up higher every few days.

Started my first breeding client of the year. Did the breeding by myself yesterday and it went well. No one here to help this year, so I am glad I have the routine down well enough to handle on my own.

Fences down in the back 20 today - Jared is here fixing that. Had hoped to get him going on a different project, but seems like there is always upkeep needed that takes precedence!

Echo and Cowboy got themselves over a deep part of the creek (Echo so she could be near Ryder, Cowboy because he is in love with Echo...). They couldn't get themselves back the way they had come - I left them on this little island of dry for two days, hoping they would get up the motivation to jump the creek back the other way. Finally went out and forced Cowboy across, getting myself dunked up to my waste in the process. Didn't want to force Echo the same way, as it was pretty deep and she is pretty pregnant. So I coxed her closer to Ryder's pasture and took her through a gate into there (couldn't do that with Cowboy unless I moved Ryder out, as they would have fought). All was well until Cowboy got so panicked that Echo was going in with Ryder that he JUMPED THE CREEK AGAIN and got himself suck on the little island of dry AGAIN. I finally just fed him there.

Am breeding today and moving some horses. Fixing fence. All pretty normal spring around here.

No comments: