Thursday, December 14, 2006

Tuesday December 12, 2006

Forgot to say that on Tuesday, as well as feeding, I separated the three babies who were still with their mamas. Took some corralling and work because two of them are the ones I haven't handled much and I couldn't walk up and put a rope on them. I have weaned these guys three times (separated them from their mothers) but because our fences are not very strong right now they keep slipping through and finding their way back to their mothers. I thought that maybe if I put them in the middle 20, just across the road from the back 20 where their mothers were (so they could see each other and talk back and forth), they would be content enough to stay where they were put and let their mothers' milk dry up.

Wednesday when I went out to feed I found that they had knocked the gate between the two pastures down and were loose in the small area between the two pastures. Without getting the electric back on (can't do that until I fix a major fence that got taken down by a tree) I can't keep them from going through that gate. So I let them be in that space, hoping they would be content to be across the fence from their mamas and not push to get in.

Thursday when I went to feed, Corry had found his way in with his mama (think he must have rolled under the gate which is pretty high off the ground) but Little Creek and Breeze had not. I decided to let it go at that for a bit. Mariah could use her own energy back, but she is not doing too badly, so she can manage to keep nursing for a bit, I think.

No comments: