Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Week without Internet - Goose

My male goose has once again settled on me as his mate. He is much more serious about it now, following me everywhere when I am outside. He coos at me, flutters his neck and rubs against me, wooing me in true goose style. He watches the windows of the house, hoping I will come out, often seeing me sitting in the living room or passing by a window and rushes to the house to entice me out. I think he has decided that I am truly the finest mate because what other goose has a mate who makes food appear every time she walks outside? He stands around as I feed the other birds, preening, clearly proud of me.

He also protects me avidly when I am outside. He even walked the 1/4 mile to the far pasture with me, strutting by my side and then getting out ahead of me when we were turning a corner, so he could protect me from anything unexpected that we came across. Rajah, who has spent his life doing just that, kept looking back and I could swear he was shaking his head in disgust. He is not impressed with my suitor's protestations of protection and love (though I've noticed that any time the goose goes after HIM, he tucks his tail and runs, yelping, towards the house.)

No comments: