Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Week without Internet - Lost Horses

Jarred fed for me for about 5 days and when I took back over I counted my horses in the far pasture and came up 3 short. Not unusual in and of itself, since they are getting out regularly. But I can always tell when there are horses out and around the property somewhere (everyone else is always a little excited about the escaped crew being around) and on this day it was clear to me that there were no horses anywhere near-by at all. It soon became clear to me that these three horses were nowhere near by and had not been for many days.

I saddled up Destiny on Easter Sunday and road her for about 3 hours. Explored further back into the hills than I have ever gone. Beautiful ride and really enjoyed it, but saw no sign of my horses. I realized they couldn't be within 5 miles of the ranch or I would have seen them. I was getting ready to start looking in near-by towns. I stopped everyone I met on the road and asked, but no-one had seen them.

Monday night someone came by the ranch and said they had found them. They were 10 miles away, down by the town of Arlee. I hooked up a trailer and went to get them. They had been living it up, having a good old time being wild horses and were quite wild when we got them back. Sahara (my 3 year old Arab-mix) was the leader. The other two just followed her out there. She is a really fabulous horse but needs a challenging life and is a teenage girl, through and through. Just ditched us to go find excitement somewhere. I now have her in a small, secure pen I set up with panels and will start working with her every day. She is perfectly content to stick around if she is getting attention regularly. But I don't think I have a pasture that will hold her otherwise.

No comments: