Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Tuesday February 27, 2006

Dave and I worked with Big Red for some time today. Haltered him and taught him how to lead. Then just walked him around and fussed over him. Took pictures (a client had requested updated pictures of him). I've decided that he needs some regular handling like that. He is not scared of people - one of the easier to handle horses here. But he is so mellow that he is at the bottom of the totem pole in the youngster pack (even though he is by far the biggest). And, with his mom gone, he gets pushed around a lot. I think his confidence will suffer if I don't build it up through time with people. Will try to do that once a week.

Did four bales in Big Barn pasture and four in Back 20 today. The horses left some in both pastures yesterday - at almost all of the food, but not quite. So I think they don't need the extra as much anymore. Will cut back to 3 bales in the back 20 5 days per week and 4 bales 2 days per week. Will probably keep the extra in the Big Barn because with all the growing and with Blackie (old and doesn't keep weight as easily anymore) and with Nefertari (9 months pregnant) I would rather have a little waste than risk not getting them everything they need.

We're walking to the back pasture every day - I think that's good for us. My goose suitor comes along most days.

Temps in the 30's during the day but getting down to single didgets at night. A little snow each day.

No comments: