Thursday, February 1, 2007

Thursday February 1, 2007

Snowed a lot today - beautiful snow pouring down from the sky. We got about half a foot, maybe more. Beautiful. I went out and worked a bit and enjoyed it. Dave and I took our sleds to the top of the driveway and tried to race each other down, but the snow was too deep and fluffy to get going very fast, so he ended up just pulling me around for the fun of it.

Fed animals today. It only got up to about 15 degrees and is around zero now, so it is certainly cold. Had to do ice and feed. I fed horses on my own, then Dave helped me (after work) feed the other critters.

Yesterday we took on two dogs from a local rescue who desperately needed foster homes until they could be adopted out. We are putting them in our dog pen (six foot mesh fencing) and not bringing them in the house. It is hard. One of them is old and has always been only outside (Thor - a great Pyrenees) but the other is a really lovable, playful one year old. Beautiful boxer type dog. He sits all day and stares at our window, trying to catch a glimpse of us. He needs a person badly and it broke my heart for him to watch me leave his pen after playing with him this evening, take my dogs and go inside. I could feel him cry out that he didn't understand why nobody loved him enough to make him an indoor dog. Ugh.

I'm trying not to let him break my heart. We drug a very heavy dog house that has sat in the barn for a few years over to his pen with a sled. He has shelter, though he doesn't seem to need or want it. He has lots of room to run but no other young puppy like animals to play with him.

Oh, and the biggest news of all - Dave found out yesterday that his employers are terminating all contractors. As of Feb. 9 he has no job.

All I can say is we will see what comes. It would break my heart to loose this ranch.

No comments: