Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Dave is in Minnesota today and begins his new job tomorrow.

Everything was covered with about 1/2 inch of snow when I woke up today and it snowed all day - ground is wet enough that it doesn't accumulate in wet spots, but it looks pretty.

I fed all the animals today and did a lot of resting.

Tonight I am trying to decide about one of my geese. We have this one male goose who decided for a while to try and woo me for his mate. He was very funny, following me everywhere and preening before me and chasing away any other male goose that got close to me. It was very funny and really quite sweet. Eventually he decided to try to find a goose mate, but he still is very friendly and comes up and coos at me and sits next to me while I pet him. I like him and consider him a friend. But we have a lot of animals on this ranch and I needed to cut down on the number of geese. We chose two mated pairs to keep and decided to slaughter the rest, except for him. We couldn't bring ourselves to slaughter him and so we gave him to a neighbor. He walked the mile back home, however, and is here again. Today he came up talking to me and asking to be petted. I picked him up and put him in a cage so I could give him away to someone he couldn't get home from. But now I'm not sure I want to. With Dave gone I know I will be lonely, and it is the animals that I bond with that really help with that. I kind of want to keep him. But I really wanted to get down to four geese - I feel like that is a manageable number. And it will be hard to keep up with everything on my own. But is one more really a big deal? Need to decide that soon.

No comments: