Monday, March 26, 2007

Monday March 26, 2007

Hard day. Went out first thing to check on the goat that is due to have babies and she was lying down with a baby stuck partway out of her. The baby was dead. She couldn't get it out. All labor had stopped.

Didn't know what I could do without hurting the mare, given that she was not having contractions anymore, so I ran to get a neighbor who raises goats. Drove her over here and she helped me remove the baby. The momma is fine and healthy, so that is a relief.

Brushed and got to know Stormy, the new mare. Enjoyed spending time with her.

Spent some time with the goats then took a nap. Jarred fed tonight. I'm worn out and heavy hearted. One of the things I love most about this life is the intensity and that everything that happens has great import - it is often life and death. But the death part is hard. Nature is cruel much of the time and I find that hard to bear. But it is also an intricate part of why I love this life, so in a way it is okay as well.

No comments: