Monday, January 15, 2007

Monday January 15, 2007

The creek in the Back 20 is hard to get to right now. Between snow and some trees that fell this winter, you can't get to (or through) the normal gait on the inner side. But that's where the best water access is, so I have to go through there every day. I've come up with a little routine that Dave finds amusing. Its really quite fun.

I have to take an ax with me to break the creek open each time I feed. I stand at the top of the hill above the creek and throw the ax down. It usually makes it about half way down the hill. Then I shimmy under the fence and slide down the hill (covered with snow) on my butt. The snow is really slick right now and I just fly down the hill. I grab the ax on my way down and skid to a stop just before the creek. Then I chop open the ice and walk out across the pasture to the front gate, which is not blocked.

That's the hardest part of feeding right now. Things are going quite well. It got up to 17 degrees today and right now (just before midnight) its only just under zero. So we're getting more normal temps for this time of year. Better than 30 bellow!

No comments: