Monday, January 8, 2007

Sunday January 7, 2007

Fed in the Back 20 first today. Drove up to the top and all the horses were there. Saw no evidence that they had left the top since yesterday and the creeks were covered over with snow and ice, due to the high wind and snow we got yesterday.

After I fed I went to dig out the creeks. The problem with creeks in the winter is that you can't just clear them anywhere. Horses wont walk up to a creek edge they are unsure of. If they can't see where the rest of the creek is, they risk breaking through the ice. And even aside from the danger of falling into a creek, a horse can break a leg easily by falling into any kind of hole. They simply wont approach a creek they can't see clearly, no matter how thirsty they are.

Oh, and one other complication adds to winter watering in creeks. As the snow and ice build up around the hole you chop out, the ledge around that hole gets deeper and deeper. Eventually the horses can't reach the water because they are standing too far above it. So, digging out the creek isn't a simple issue once winter has been here for a while.

My first challenge was getting to it. The creek nearest the trail to the top of the pasture (where I am feeding) is not near a gait. I took an ax, a shovel and a broom and tossed them down from the top of the hill. Then I shimmied under the fence and slid down on my butt. Picked up my tools and started digging from the trail. If the horses can't see a clear, safe path all the way, they wont go to it.

I dug out the creek, shoveling snow off of it and from all around. Then I took the ax and started breaking ice. Broke about 6 inches off in a big hole. Had to make sure the edges were strong enough to hold a 1000 lb horse. Finally got that clear. Then I had to take my ax, shovel and broom and climb back up the hill I slid down, scoot under the fence and get back in the truck. Tool me almost an hour. I am exhausted and not strong today. Kept having to sit down and wait for the dizziness to go away, or to get my strength back. Sat in the truck for many minutes, resting. Then went on the the Middle 20.

Didn't have to shovel to the creek here. The wind had blown the original path the horses use clear. Just had to shovel off the creek itself, then chop. Shaking too hard to hold the ax by the end, but I got it done.

The problem now is that horses don't always drink as much as they need if it is hard to get to water. If there are no tracks leading to the water by tomorrow, I have to move them. They can't stay in that pasture if they wont drink. Horses are at great risk in winter for colic (which can kill them) if they don't drink enough.

I drove back to the house and fed there. Drove the truck around to every feeding spot - couldn't bring myself to walk even between the barn and the birds. Thanks to heavy-duty chains on the truck, the truck plowed through all the snow in the yard and I managed to get the feeding done.

This is the start of real winter. It only gets harder from here. If my energy doesn't pick up this is going to be a real challenge. I can barely manage basic feeding right now and what if I have to move all these guys tomorrow? That will involve repairing fences and finding the creek which hasn't been chopped at at all - at least a foot of ice...well, I'll deal with it tomorrow.

No comments: